After Being Scammed, Man Tells Story To Alert Others - - No One Gets You Closer

After Being Scammed, Man Tells Story To Alert Others


ARDMORE, OK -- A Texoma man in Johnston County says he lost thousands of dollars through an over the phone scam. He says the thief used his Facebook information to manipulate his trust and now wants to warn others of what to watch out for.

Retired Air Force Major General Al Logan knows a thing or two about how things operate outside of the United States and was concerned when he received a call that his grandson Drew was in trouble.

"I became convinced that it was my grandson even though the voice was a little different and I attributed that to being in Lima, Peru when he told me where he was," said Logan.

Logan was told by the impersonating grandson that he and a classmate had access to a relative's timeshare and was visiting for a few days vacation.

He was then told by the imposters that they had gotten into an accident the night before and had to pay a $1,700 fee to be allowed to leave the country.

"The idea of him being in a Peruvian police station was distressing," said Logan.

Logan wired $1,700 each for his grandson and friend but soon realized the whole thing was a sham when found out his grandson was at college in Virginia.

Logan contacted the Johnston County Sheriff's Office and Tishomingo Police Department and filed a report of the incident.

No action was taken by either office.

Authorities say the best line of defense to combat these types of scams is to verify who is on the other line.

"Don't give any personal information at all," said Sheriff Jon Smith. "If they do indeed ask for money or money to be wired or anything along that line that's a red flag of caution."

While Logan does not expect to recover any of the money he lost, he wanted to share his story to make others alert.

"The best way is to know and not let yourself be shammed into this," said Logan. "So that's why I'd thought I'd go ahead and tell everybody about it."

Logan believes the scammers used details from his Facebook page to make the initial call more personal.

Authorities say to make social media pages private and ensure contact information is not made public.