House Fire Near Luella Started By Cooking - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

House Fire Near Luella Started By Cooking

Posted:
  • Texoma HeadlinesMore>>

  • Chickasaw Nation Opens Community Center In Ardmore

    Chickasaw Nation Opens Community Center In Ardmore

    ARDMORE, OK -- The Chickasaw Nation opened a new addition to it's Carter service campus in Ardmore Wednesday morning. With a snip of the ribbon, the the newest addition to the Chickasaw Carter service center officially opened.More >>
    ARDMORE, OK -- The Chickasaw Nation opened a new addition to it's Carter service campus in Ardmore Wednesday morning. With a snip of the ribbon, the the newest addition to the Chickasaw Carter service center officially opened.
    More >>
  • Woman Arrested For Hitting Two With Brick

    Woman Arrested For Hitting Two With Brick

    ARDMORE, OK -- Ardmore police arrested a local woman after they say she hit two different people in the head with a brick. Officers arrested 40-year old Daphne Morales of Ardmore on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and public intoxication.More >>
    ARDMORE, OK -- Ardmore police arrested a local woman after they say she hit two different people in the head with a brick. Officers arrested 40-year old Daphne Morales of Ardmore on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and public intoxication.
    More >>
  • Second Annual Ardmore Community Forum

    Second Annual Ardmore Community Forum

    ARDMORE, OK -- City officials gathered at the convention center in Ardmore for their second annual community forum. Organizers of the forum say more than 200 people attended.More >>
    ARDMORE, OK -- City officials gathered at the convention center in Ardmore for their second annual community forum. Organizers of the forum say more than 200 people attended.
    More >>

GRAYSON COUNTY, TX -- A family had their Thanksgiving holiday cut short, when embers on a barbeque caught their house on fire.

At a house in Luella, a family had finished their Thanksgiving dinner around 4 p.m. on Thursday, when a loud noise drew them to the other side of the house.

"We just heard the explosion and walked back there and opened the back door, the whole patio was on fire," says father Ralph Dale Mobbs.

Resident Dale Mobbs had cooked smoked turkey on an outdoor grill. He says he and his family were watching the Cowboys game, when they ran to the deck, but by the time they saw the fire there wasn't much they could do.

"I tried to grab the water hose, but it wasn't no use," says Dale Mobbs. "I couldn't get close enough to do anything, so just waiting on the fire trucks."

"The fire was reported initially exterior on the deck, and it spread to the house," says Sherman Fire Chief Jeff Jones. "On our units' arrival, about half the house was pretty well involved."

As the flames spread, neighbors drawn by the black cloud of smoke drove down Cedar Road to see which house was on fire. "I could see all the smoke I thought it was another neighbor's house on fire and then I realized it was on down the road," says neighbor Sherial Vaughn.

"It started right here in this corner, the right in the corner of the house and moved back with the wind," says son Cody Mobbs.

Dale Mobbs says he is left wondering what went wrong on his propane grill. "Everything was off and we done quit, but there was still, I mean it was a wood stove so there was still coals and stuff."

He says he will be able to stay with relatives, and since this did happen, he is glad it happened at a time when his family is there for support. Sherman, Tom Bean, and Bells firefighters were among those on scene. 

County assistant fire marshal David Gallagher says embers on the barbeque started the fire and the explosion sound likely came from the grill's propane tank after the fire started. Three residents plan to stay with family members. One side of the house was damaged, but the other side remained intact.