ARDMORE, Okla. (KTEN) — A gas leak in Ardmore forced people out of their homes on Tuesday morning.

Homeowners in the 800 block of 4th Avenue Southwest said crews had been working to install fiber optic cable when the pungent aroma of natural gas filled the air.

Oklahoma Natural Gas responded and said a third-party contractor struck a gas line, forcing four homes to be evacuated.

Stacie Chamberlain said she had to leave her house after seeing gas bubbling in her front yard.

"When I came home, some of the workers were frantic," she said. "I heard somebody say that there had been a gas leak, and so I asked one of the workers, 'Hey, is that gas?' Because it was pretty strong, and he just kinda shrugged it off, obviously not wanting to admit mistakes or damage done."

Oklahoma Natural Gas said repairs were expected to be complete by the end of the day.

“Now they’re not able to give us any time on when we can come home, if we can go to our homes to get medicine," Chamberlain said. "I have animals in my house, and they won’t even let me go get my animals,  so it’s very concerning as a taxpayer of the city of Ardmore to not be able to enter my home due to the mistake of these crews from out of state.”