GRAYSON COUNTY, Texas (KTEN) — The Texas A&M Forest Service has opened applications for prescribed burn grants in many parts of Texas, including portions of Grayson County. Different priority locations are covered by different grants.

Landowners who qualify can use their grant money to hire certified burn managers to safely conduct the prescribed burns. 

Prescribed burns can help reduce dead vegetation that could fuel potential wildfires, especially after a dry summer.

"Once we do have fire ignitions like we had this summer, those areas that have been burned before have much less fuel there to burn this time, and so they're a lot more manageable," explained Grayson County AgriLife agent Chad Cummings.

Information for applicants is available on the Texas A&M Forest Service website. The application window ends on September 30. 

Last year's grants provided more than $300,000 to landowners to treat 11,667 acres of land.