Family claims Denison restaurant served a befouled burrito
DENISON, Texas (KTEN) — A local family's fast food meal ended abruptly Sunday afternoon when they said their 14-year-old son began choking.
"I looked down at his burrito and it was plastic," said father Leroy Horne. "So we went to Taco Bell, and I went in front of the manager and asked him what it was, and he said that he didn't know what it was."
The parents' disappointment led to them filling out and incident form for the manager of the Denison restaurant.
"He signed it. so, that made me a little bit more at ease, because I got the proof right there," Horne said. "They can't say I put the plastic in there."
The Horne family is hoping to ensure that nothing like this happens again to an unsuspecting diner.
"What if an old person would have gotten this going down the highway... eating, choking, and had a wreck," Horne said. "I mean, it's a life that could have been lost."
The family's end goal is not personal gain; instead they are hoping that changes will be made to avoid a potential tragedy, especially for parents with smaller children.
KTEN contacted Taco Bell Corporation for a response; they issued this statement:
"We take this very seriously. We have reached out to the franchise who owns and operates this location, and they are looking into this matter."