Fundraisers benefit Sherman businesses burned out by fire
SHERMAN, Texas (KTEN) — The people of Sherman came together Friday to help those who were affected by the Halloween fire at Kelly Square.
"Their whole lives have been turned upside down," said Ginger Nye of First United Bank, which organized a lunchtime fundraiser.
"We've got hot dogs, chips, and a drink," Nye said. "We have a suggested donation of $5. You can give as much as you want. It all goes to the fund that is benefiting the Kelly Square."
There was also a bake sale inside First United Bank on Travis Street, with proceeds also going to the fire victims.
"Downtowns are always the heart of a city, and Sherman's heart is Kelly Square," Nye said.
A small gesture is going a long way for Heather LaRosa, owner of Kelly Square and Fulbelli's Restaurant.
"The first few days it was bouncing back and forth between shock and tears; now, when the tears come, it's because it's being overwhelmed by how much people care and reach out," she said. "One of the things I always say is: In times of adversity, you find out what people really think of it, and it's great, it's awesome, and it's one of the great things about living in a small town."
Sandi's Boutique at Kelly Square had a huge sale of 60 percent off everything in order to get rid of merchandise before moving out.
The next step is in the near future for the square.
"We're still in the process of working with insurance, fire investigators, and structural engineers, and every day it's more people coming around," LaRosa said.