Are you ready for Super Bowl XLIII? Test your football smarts with 20 questions about the NFL's biggest game.
1. True or false: When the Pittsburgh Steelers played the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl XIV in Pasadena, Calif., it represented an occasion of life imitating art as a film released less than two years earlier had the same teams facing off in a Super Bowl in greater Los Angeles.
Correct Answer: True. Heaven Can Wait, released in the summer of 1978, finished with the Steelers playing the Rams at the Los Angeles Coliseum for all the marbles. The Rams, though, won that one
2. Dolphin Stadium has hosted four Super Bowls, each featuring a kickoff return for a touchdown. What have these touchdowns had in common?
They all happened in the second half
They all benefited the eventual losing team
They all were at least 93 yards in length
a and c
Correct Answer: They all benefited the eventual losig team.
The returners: Stanford Jennings, Bengals, XXIII; Andre Coleman, Chargers, XXIX; Tim Dwight, Falcons, XXXIII; Devin Hester, Bears, XLI)
3. Bill Belicheck has coached in four Super Bowls. What have his teams not done in the first quarter of these games?
Sack the quarterback
Score a touchdown
Correct Answer: Score
4. Which team lost three Super Bowls in Miami's Orange Bowl after leading by a touchdown in each?
Correct Answer: Cowboys. Led Colts 13-6 in V, lost 16-13; Led Steelers 7-0 in X, lost 21-17; Led Steelers 14-7 in XIII, lost 35-31
5. What other team lost three Super Bowls after leading by at least a touchdown in each?
Led Giants 12-3 in XXV, lost 20-19; Led Cowboys 7-0 in XXVII, lost 52-17; Led Cowboys 13-6 in XXVIII, lost 30-13
6. What has the Super Bowl never had?
A punt return for a touchdown
All of the above
Correct Answer: All of the above
7. What are the least points scored by an offense (includes place kicking)?
Correct Answer: 0. Vikings, Super Bowl IX
8. What are the most points scored by a team in a Super Bowl?
Correct Answer: 55.
49ers, Super Bowl XXIV
9. What is the greatest deficit overcome to win?
Correct Answer: Ten.
The Redskins were behind the Broncos 10-0 in XXII before winning 42-10.
10. What is the distance of the game's longest run?
Correct Answer: 75.
Willie Parker, Steelers, XL
11. What is the shortest span of time in which three touchdowns have been scored?
Correct Answer: 36 seconds.
XXXV, an interception-return TD followed by consecutive kickoff-return TDs
12. What is the distance of the game's longest pass play?
Correct Answer: 85 yards.
Jake Delhomme to Muhsin Muhammad, Panthers, XXXVIII
13. What is the distance of the game's shortest field goal?
Correct Answer: 9 yards.
Jim Turner, Jets, III
14. Which player was named MVP for his special-teams play?
Correct Answer: Howard.
15. Which team has played in the game the most times?
New England Patriots
Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
Correct Answer: Cowboys.
8 times: V, VI, X, XII, XIII, XXVII, XXVIII, XXX
16. No team has played the Super Bowl in its home stadium. Using mapquest.com's shortest-route function, which team has played closest to its home stadium?
Los Angeles Rams in XIV
Tennessee Titans in XXXIV
Cincinnati Bengals in XVI
San Francisco 49ers in XIX
Correct Answer: 49ers.
27 miles from Monster Park to Palo Alto, Calif.
17. Which player is the only one from the losing team to have been named MVP?
Thurman Thomas, Bills (XXV)
Chuck Howley, Cowboys (V)
Terrell Owens, Eagles (XXXIX)
Boomer Esiason, Bengals (XXIII)
Correct Answer: Owens.
18. How many sites have hosted both a Super Bowl and a World Series?
Correct Answer: Four.
(Los Angeles Coliseum (WS 1959, SB I, VII), Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego (WS 1984, 1998; SB XXII, XXXII); Metrodome in Minneapolis (WS 1987, 1991; SB XXVI); Dolphin Stadium in Miami Gardens (SB XXIII, XXIX, XXXIII, XLI; WS '97, 2003).
19. Who has the most pass attempts in a game without an interception?
Correct Answer: Warner.
45 attempts with Rams in XXXIV
20. How many teams have won three road playoff games and then the Super Bowl?
Correct Answer: Two.
2005 Steelers, 2007 Giants