Swallowed toys, coins, batteries spark rise in tot ER visits - KTEN.com - Texoma news, weather and sports

Swallowed toys, coins, batteries spark rise in tot ER visits

Posted: Updated:
(Bruce Lipsky/The Florida Times-Union via AP). FILE - In this Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016 file photo, a lawyer holds a battery that was removed from a toddler's esophagus at a news conference in Jacksonville, Fla. A study published Friday, April 12, 2019 ... (Bruce Lipsky/The Florida Times-Union via AP). FILE - In this Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016 file photo, a lawyer holds a battery that was removed from a toddler's esophagus at a news conference in Jacksonville, Fla. A study published Friday, April 12, 2019 ...
  • NationalMore>>

  • Indictment: Ex-CEO ignored red flags as opioid crisis raged

    Indictment: Ex-CEO ignored red flags as opioid crisis raged

    Tuesday, April 23 2019 12:52 PM EDT2019-04-23 16:52:49 GMT
    Wednesday, April 24 2019 10:22 AM EDT2019-04-24 14:22:03 GMT
    The former head of a drug distributor has been indicted on what federal prosecutors say are the first-ever criminal charges against a drug company executive stemming from the opioid crisis.More >>
    The former head of a drug distributor has been indicted on what federal prosecutors say are the first-ever criminal charges against a drug company executive stemming from the opioid crisis.More >>
  • Americans getting more inactive, computers partly to blame

    Americans getting more inactive, computers partly to blame

    Tuesday, April 23 2019 11:11 AM EDT2019-04-23 15:11:14 GMT
    Wednesday, April 24 2019 10:22 AM EDT2019-04-24 14:22:00 GMT
    (Scott G Winterton/The Deseret News via AP). FILE - In this Oct. 29, 2018 file photo, students work on computers at an elementary school in Beaver, Utah. According to a study published on Tuesday, April 23, 2019, Americans are becoming increasingly sed...(Scott G Winterton/The Deseret News via AP). FILE - In this Oct. 29, 2018 file photo, students work on computers at an elementary school in Beaver, Utah. According to a study published on Tuesday, April 23, 2019, Americans are becoming increasingly sed...
    (Scott G Winterton/The Deseret News via AP). FILE - In this Oct. 29, 2018 file photo, students work on computers at an elementary school in Beaver, Utah. According to a study published on Tuesday, April 23, 2019, Americans are becoming increasingly sed...(Scott G Winterton/The Deseret News via AP). FILE - In this Oct. 29, 2018 file photo, students work on computers at an elementary school in Beaver, Utah. According to a study published on Tuesday, April 23, 2019, Americans are becoming increasingly sed...
    New study shows Americans are becoming increasingly sedentary, computer use partly to blame.More >>
    New study shows Americans are becoming increasingly sedentary, computer use partly to blame.More >>
  • Boy Scouts could be hit with more sex abuse claims

    Boy Scouts could be hit with more sex abuse claims

    Tuesday, April 23 2019 5:21 PM EDT2019-04-23 21:21:31 GMT
    Wednesday, April 24 2019 10:21 AM EDT2019-04-24 14:21:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/ Haraz N. Ghanbari). FILE - In this July 31, 2005 file photo, Boy Scouts salute as they recite the Pledge of Allegiance during the Boy Scout Jamboree in Bowling Green, Va. In 2019, financial threats to the Boy Scouts have intensified as multi...(AP Photo/ Haraz N. Ghanbari). FILE - In this July 31, 2005 file photo, Boy Scouts salute as they recite the Pledge of Allegiance during the Boy Scout Jamboree in Bowling Green, Va. In 2019, financial threats to the Boy Scouts have intensified as multi...
    (AP Photo/ Haraz N. Ghanbari). FILE - In this July 31, 2005 file photo, Boy Scouts salute as they recite the Pledge of Allegiance during the Boy Scout Jamboree in Bowling Green, Va. In 2019, financial threats to the Boy Scouts have intensified as multi...(AP Photo/ Haraz N. Ghanbari). FILE - In this July 31, 2005 file photo, Boy Scouts salute as they recite the Pledge of Allegiance during the Boy Scout Jamboree in Bowling Green, Va. In 2019, financial threats to the Boy Scouts have intensified as multi...
    Lawyers across the U.S. are recruiting clients for a potentially crippling new wave of sex-abuse lawsuits against the Boy Scouts.More >>
    Lawyers across the U.S. are recruiting clients for a potentially crippling new wave of sex-abuse lawsuits against the Boy Scouts.More >>

By LINDSEY TANNER
AP Medical Writer

CHICAGO (AP) - The number of young kids who went to U.S. emergency rooms because they swallowed toys, coins, batteries and other objects has nearly doubled, a new study says.

In 2015, there were nearly 43,000 such visits among kids under 6, compared with 22,000 in 1995, according to the study published Friday in the journal Pediatrics. The rate jumped from almost 10 per 10,000 ER visits to 18 per 10,000.

The increase "rang some alarms," said Dr. Danielle Orsagh-Yentis, the lead author and a gastrointestinal physician at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

Orsagh-Yentis noted that an increasing number of consumer products use potentially dangerous button-sized batteries, including TV remotes, digital thermometers and remote-controlled toys, which likely contributed to the increase.

She said her interest in studying the trend began during her training, "when we were all being called in in the middle of the night at odd hours to remove foreign bodies from either the esophagus or stomachs of children."

Her research team analyzed a nationwide database of non-fatal emergency room visits for children younger than age 6. Almost 800,000 children were treated during the study years after swallowing foreign objects. Coins, batteries and toys accounted for most of the visits.

While 90% of treated children were sent home without hospitalization, severe internal injuries and deaths have been reported. Batteries and small high-powered magnets often marketed as desk toys for adults are among the most dangerous objects.

When kids swallow more than one powerful magnet, the objects can attract each inside the intestines, boring holes into the abdomen that can lead to life-threatening blood poisoning.

In recent years, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued safety warnings and orders to stop sales of some magnets, citing dozens of hospitalizations and at least one toddler death.

The agency also has warned about dangers from button-sized batteries, which when swallowed can trigger a chemical reaction that can burn holes through tissue inside the throat.

Children who swallow batteries or magnets may vomit or complain of abdominal pain. They "should be brought to the emergency room as quickly as possible," Orsagh-Yentis said.

Morag Mackay of Safe Kids Worldwide, an injury prevention advocacy group, called for more research to understand why the incidents are on the rise. She said parents and caregivers need to be vigilant.

"Try to see the world from a child's point of view by getting on the floor so that you are at your child's eye level. Keep small objects such as coins, batteries, magnets, buttons or jewelry out of reach and sight," Mackay said.

___

Follow AP Medical Writer Lindsey Tanner on Twitter at @LindseyTanner .

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

___

This story has been corrected to show that the number of emergency room visits has nearly doubled, not more than doubled.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.