Cigarette blamed for fire at Sherman storage center - KTEN.com - Texoma news, weather and sports

Cigarette blamed for fire at Sherman storage center

Posted: Updated:
Dozens of units were damaged by smoke and flames at the Devon Self-Storage facility on Loy Lake Road in Sherman. (KTEN) Dozens of units were damaged by smoke and flames at the Devon Self-Storage facility on Loy Lake Road in Sherman. (KTEN)

SHERMAN, Texas -- Damage is estimated at $500,000 after fire broke out in a Sherman self-storage facility Thursday night.

Firefighters were summoned to Devon Self-Storage at 1720 Loy Lake Road around 8:45 p.m. The Sherman fire marshal said the fire started in a central unit and spread out from there. It was ignited by a lit cigarette.

About a dozen storage units were damaged by flames; an additional 55 units suffered smoke damage.

The fire was under control about 15 minutes after help arrived. No one was hurt.

Firefighters from Pottsboro, Whitesboro and Denison provided assistance.

  • Submit a News Tip

    Do you have a news tip for KTEN?

    Begin by entering your email address in the field below or call 903-548-4010

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Your news tip has been submitted. If you provided contact information, we might use it to reach out to you if additional information is required.