Man breaks into Texas home in effort to save burning victim - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

Man breaks into Texas home in effort to save burning victim

Posted: Updated:

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A man who accidentally set himself on fire at his San Antonio home has died from his injuries but not before a neighbor forced his way into the home in an effort to save the man.

Fire Chief Charles Hood says the victim, a man in his 50s, was in his kitchen Tuesday when his clothing caught on fire.

The neighbor saw smoke coming from the home and rushed over to help. He was able to break loose burglar bars on the home to get inside and reach the victim.

Hood says the neighbor found the victim "smoldering" and used flour to extinguish the flames. The good Samaritan suffered burns to his hand.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

It's not clear how his clothing caught fire.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.