Faulty smoker blamed for Tishomingo restaurant fire - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

Faulty smoker blamed for Tishomingo restaurant fire

Posted: Updated:
Flames were shooting from the back of the Rockin Rib restaurant when Tishomingo firefighters arrived. (Courtesy Jasper Deaton) Flames were shooting from the back of the Rockin Rib restaurant when Tishomingo firefighters arrived. (Courtesy Jasper Deaton)

TISHOMINGO, Okla. -- Fire heavily damaged the Rockin Rib restaurant on the east side of Tishomingo Wednesday night.

Jaquline Smith works next door at her dad's restaurant, Simple Simon's Pizza.  She was working late and noticed more smoke than usual coming out of the smoke room of the barbecue joint.

She called for help around 9 p.m. Flames were shooting from the back of the business when firefighters arrived minutes later.

"I'm glad we noticed it when we did, or it would really be on fire," she said. "It's a business of somebody that we knew and knew well... that's their whole livelihood."

The Tishomingo fire chief said the blaze is being blamed on a faulty smoker that overheated in the restaurant's back room. 

The building at 1211 East Main Street was saved, but the interior suffered extensive smoke damage.

Smith's timely 911 call might have kept Rockin Rib from burning to the ground, but she wishes she would have seen signs of trouble sooner.

"It's just all-around scary, 'cause all I was thinking is: 'That could have been our business if we hadn't shut something off," she said.

No one was injured in the fire. It's not yet clear if the building can be salvaged.

  • Submit a News Tip

    Do you have a news tip for KTEN?

    Begin by entering your email address in the field below or call 903-548-4010

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Your news tip has been submitted. If you provided contact information, we might use it to reach out to you if additional information is required.