Cigarette may have ignited Sherman house fire - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

Cigarette may have ignited Sherman house fire

Posted:

SHERMAN, Texas  -- "It's a very close-knit family, very loving family, there's nothing they wouldn't do for you," said Tim Beneker, a friend and neighbor to the Sherman family devastated by fire Monday evening.

Around 6:30 pm, flames spread like wildfire in a home in the 400 block of North Holly Avenue. This happened just weeks from the start of school.

"The fire appeared to have started in a bedroom where the person was sleeping, and due to a discarded or dropped cigarette," Sherman Fire Marshal Danny Fuller said. "The person attempted to put out the fire."

From there, fire officials said the flames spread quickly, forcing the resident to flee and call 911 from a neighbor's home. But how often are house fires ignited by a cigarette?

"It's something that used to happen quite a bit several years ago," said Fuller. "We kind of had a downturn in it with prevention measures and notifications from public service announcements and those kind of things. And it is a more rare occurrence now days, but it does happen."

It just goes to show that while this danger might be uncommon, it can certainly change lives in an instant.

"So in this time of need, there's nothing that we as neighbors won't do for them," Beneker said. "We're going to get some information together and try and help [this] family."

Fire officials tell us one person in the home suffered some minor burns and smoke inhalation but was taken to the hospital by private vehicle.

  • Submit a News Tip

    Do you have a news tip for KTEN?

    Begin by entering your email address in the field below or call 903-548-4010

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Your news tip has been submitted. If you provided contact information, we might use it to reach out to you if additional information is required.