Love Co. Man Pleads Guilty And Then Marshals Show Up Near Family - - No One Gets You Closer

Love Co. Man Pleads Guilty And Then Marshals Show Up Near Family Property

MARIETTA, OK -- A Love County man takes a plea deal in a chase where prosecutors say he caused an OHP car to wreck out, then hours later the U.S. Marshals are spotted blocking the road near his family's property.

Police have told us that Nipp was the last person seen with Molly Miller, 17, and Colt Haynes, 21. Today, he pleaded guilty to unrelated charges involving a chase.

Then later tonight, a mass of law enforcement suddenly showed up near his grandparents' home.

One by one, lawmen arrived at the intersection of Oswalt Road and Long Hollow Road, stopping to get their gear ready, unpacking rifles, and strapping on bullet-proof vests.

The surprising scene involving armed U.S. Marshals unfolded around 5:30 p.m. on a quiet country road in Love County, just hours after James Conn Nipp, 23, pleaded guilty in a Marietta courtroom to assault with a dangerous weapon, and felony eluding a police officer.

Those are charges District Attorney Craig Ladd says were tied to a high-speed chase back in January.

"They were somewhat related and arose out of the same incident where he was being pursued by OHP, and he swerved his car at one of the troopers vehicles, causing that unit to wreck," says Ladd.

Also included was a third charge -- unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Nipp was sentenced to 10 years in prison followed by 10 years of probation.

"He hasn't been officially charged with any involvement in the Molly Miller case. There's a case in Carter County that's a felony eluding a police officer that coincides with about the time she would have disappeared," says Ladd.

Ladd says he's also been discussing that pending Carter County charge with Nipp's attorney Brian Aspan of Tulsa.

"We tied in the Carter County cases. I anticipate they'll be resolved as well in a similar fashion," says Ladd. "In the past year, Mr. Nipp's been involved in a lot of illegal activity, so those were factors that were considered."

Troopers had the corner near Nipp's grandparents' house blocked off, and we saw at least 3 men with U.S. Marshals equipment arriving with rifles.

All this.. happening one year after Miller and Haynes disappeared.

"I think it's just a strange coincidence," says Ladd.

"We just left the family a few minutes ago and went by and paid our respects because it was one year today that molly was disappeared," says a private investigator for the Miller family, Philip Klein.

Klein, who works out of Nederland, Tex., with the Child Rescue Network, says he's been working to reconstruct what happened on July 7-8, 2013.

"It's a great tribute to law enforcement, Oklahoma Highway Patrol and all federal law enforcement that they are taking this very seriously as we are as the lead civil investigators. The case is not progressing as fast as we wanted it to but it is progressing," says Klein.

Klein calls his a "parallel" or "shadow" investigation to what law enforcement is doing.

He says he's interviewed many people, but Conn Nipp is one he hasn't been able to speak to yet.

"We've had to work around the Nipp family. Obviously, Conn Nipp was the last person that saw Molly. He has not been cooperative. His attorney has blocked us from interviewing him," says Klein.

Again, Nipp is set to serve 10 years in prison and 10 years of probation involving that chase. He still faces another charge.

Klein says he has a feeling the case of the 2 missing people -- Miller and Haynes -- will wrap up soon.

We talked to a few officials who said they can't comment yet on what law enforcement officers were doing near the Nipps's property on Tuesday evening.