Second lawsuit filed against City of Sherman & Sherman police of - - No One Gets You Closer

Second lawsuit filed against City of Sherman & Sherman police officers

SHERMAN -- For the second time in a week, a civil lawsuit has been filed against Sherman police officers and the City of Sherman.

Jeff Jones is a Sherman firefighter but also works part-time as a bounty hunter.

In March 2013, a lawsuit filed Saturday says Jones received a lead that a person he was looking for was at a home on Gribble St. in Sherman and called the Sherman police department for help.

"I had received some information that I didn't really feel comfortable with and I certainly didn't want to go over there and try to arrest him by myself," Jones said in an interview in June 2013.

The lawsuit says when Jones went to the back door of the home he tripped on a wire fence.

"As Mr. Jones began to get up," the lawsuit states, "he was shot twice by a rookie police officer."

"I was shot on the back of the right arm and then on the left side of my abdomen," Jones said in the June 2013 interview.

Before being shot, the lawsuit says there was "no verbal communication or warnings" by the officer.

"I don't know what he was thinking on that particular day. I can't speak for him," Jones said.

Late Monday, Sherman city attorney Brandon Shelby said the city had no comment on the Jones case.

He said he first learned about it shortly after we sat down with him Monday to discuss a separate case filed against the city and SPD officers last week on behalf of Linda Surratt.

"Every minute has been torture," Surratt said.

In August 2013, during a traffic stop at Cherry and Hazelwood Streets, Surratt claims Sherman police officers beat, choked and tased her sister, Lesa, until she became unconscious. Lesa later died.

"Many of the alleged facts in the petition are not grounded in the truth," Shelby said.

Shelby says Lesa choked because she swallowed a baggie full of cocaine.

He says allegations made in the case are false and that evidence, when presented in court, will prove it.

"They did not strike her at any point. They did not tase her at any point. They did not delay in seeking medical care for her at any point," Shelby said.

Both lawsuits were filed by the same law firm and seek an unspecified amount of damages.

In both incidents, a grand jury declined to indict the officers on criminal charges.