One dead in Bonham apartment fire - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

One dead in Bonham apartment fire

Posted:
  • Texoma HeadlinesMore>>

  • United Way of Grayson County investigates accusations made by former employees

    United Way of Grayson County investigates accusations made by former employees

    SHERMAN -- The president and CEO of the United Way of Grayson County is responding to accusations being made by former employees. Some of the claims have resulted in changes in the way the organization does business.More >>
    SHERMAN -- The president and CEO of the United Way of Grayson County is responding to accusations being made by former employees. Some of the claims have resulted in changes in the way the organization does business.More >>
  • Fusion Bible Church Invites Community to "Yancy" In Concert

    Fusion Bible Church Invites Community to "Yancy" In Concert

    One of the hottest performers in Christian Music is coming to Texoma. Fusion Bible invites the community to "Yancy" in concert.Haven't heard of Yancy? Your kids probably have. Her website says "music that makes Jesus loud." With a rock sound that blends with any generation and a message of love, it's a concert the entire family will enjoy.Fusion Bible, based in Sherman and Durant, invite you to join them Friday July 25, 2014 at 7:00 in the evening at the Sherman Campus for fun and fellowship....More >>
    One of the hottest performers in Christian Music is coming to Texoma. Fusion Bible invites the community to "Yancy" in concert.Haven't heard of Yancy? Your kids probably have. Her website says "music that makes Jesus loud." With a rock sound that blends with any generation and a message of love, it's a concert the entire family will enjoy.Fusion Bible, based in Sherman and Durant, invite you to join them Friday July 25, 2014 at 7:00 in the evening at the Sherman Campus for fun and fellowship....More >>
  • Workforce Solutions Texoma KTEN Hot Jobs

    Workforce Solutions Texoma KTEN Hot Jobs

    Looking for a job? Workforce Solutions Texoma can help. Below is the updated list of job openings in our area. For more information you can contact Workforce Solutions Texoma at Phone: 903.463.9997 Fax: 903.463.3073 www.workforcesolutionstexoma.com DIRECTOR OF THE CENTER FOR WORKPLACE LEARNING Denison Closing Date: 8/15/2014 Posting ID: 6313798 http://bit.ly/1sR6cKz TECHNICAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE AND PC REPAIR Denison Closing Date: 8/16/2014 Posting I...More >>
    Looking for a job? Workforce Solutions Texoma can help. Below is the updated list of job openings in our area. For more information you can contact Workforce Solutions Texoma at Phone: 903.463.9997 Fax: 903.463.3073 www.workforcesolutionstexoma.com DIRECTOR OF THE CENTER FOR WORKPLACE LEARNING Denison Closing Date: 8/15/2014 Posting ID: 6313798 http://bit.ly/1sR6cKz TECHNICAL SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE AND PC REPAIR Denison Closing Date: 8/16/2014 Posting I...More >>
BONHAM -- One man is dead following an early morning fire.

It happened at a low-income apartment complex in Bonham.

Bonham police say there is no reason to believe this fire was intentionally set. In fact, they say it was accidental.

Now one man is dead and three other tenants have to find another place to stay.

An empty microwave meal in the front yard, an armchair and oxygen tanks paint the picture of how Steven Ray Tramel lived inside his home at Uptown Apartments in Bonham.

"He didn't get out much," neighbor Kathey Huber said.

It was Tramel's apartment that caught fire at about 4:15 Tuesday morning.

Neighbors say they were sound asleep when firefighters came to the door.

"Bam bam bam! They said, 'Fire fire fire,' and I didn't hear the fire part so I thought I was getting robbed or something so I run out the front door and I see these blue flashing lights and I was like okay," neighbor Alex Green said.

Bonham police say a lit cigarette sparked the fire. They say Tramel was smoking next to oxygen tanks in his living room.

"He was reported as being a heavy smoker. He was on oxygen. We do have a witness that saw one oxygen bottle on fire as it was bouncing off the walls," Bonham police chief Mike Bankston said.

Inside the apartment, you can now see daylight through the ceiling. Metal coils and wood frames are all that's left of the furniture.

Police say three other units in the quad-plex also have extensive smoke damage.

"It was heavy, it was heavy on each end. I was going, 'Oh my goodness.' It was heavy on each end that smoke," Huber said.

A tricycle outside the apartment next-door shows how close the blaze could have come to cutting even more lives short.

Neighbors say they're shaken up but grateful another person's bad decision didn't cause them much harm.

"He's smoking with oxygen tanks. So them things are dangerous to smoke around and if you don't listen, you see what happens."

The Red Cross is helping families displaced by the fire.