Dog Survives Achille House Fire - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

Dog Survives Achille House Fire

Posted:
  • Texoma HeadlinesMore>>

  • Ada Man Hit by Stray Bullet While Sleeping

    Ada Man Hit by Stray Bullet While Sleeping

    ADA, OK-- An Ada man was shot while sleeping in his own bed. Now authorities are trying to find out who shot him. The Pontotoc County Sheriff's office launched an investigation into the shooting yesterday morning.More >>
    ADA, OK-- An Ada man was shot while sleeping in his own bed. Now authorities are trying to find out who shot him. The Pontotoc County Sheriff's office launched an investigation into the shooting yesterday morning.
    More >>
  • Former Denison High School teacher indicted

    Former Denison High School teacher indicted

    DENISON -- Charges will move forward against a former Denison High School teacher charged with having an improper relationship with a student. Wednesday, a grand jury indicted Julie Bollinger. She resigned from her job late last May after being confronted by DISD administrators about claims she was having an intimate relationship with a student. Bollinger turned herself in authorities in July. She could face up to 20 years in prison, if convicted.More >>
    DENISON -- Charges will move forward against a former Denison High School teacher charged with having an improper relationship with a student. Wednesday, a grand jury indicted Julie Bollinger. She resigned from her job late last May after being confronted by DISD administrators about claims she was having an intimate relationship with a student. Bollinger turned herself in authorities in July. She could face up to 20 years in prison, if convicted.More >>
  • Births increase at local hospitals nine months after ice storm

    Births increase at local hospitals nine months after ice storm

    GRAYSON COUNTY -- It's hard to believe with all the heat we've had lately that Grayson County was covered with ice in December. It seems like so long ago but it's now top of mind again for many for reasons that can only be described as human nature. For weeks in December, you may have ended up pushing your car out of a ditch if braved the aftermath of the ice storm. Slick streets and sidewalks are the reason most stayed indoors which may explain a new -- much warmer trend -- nine months la...More >>
    GRAYSON COUNTY -- It's hard to believe with all the heat we've had lately that Grayson County was covered with ice in December. It seems like so long ago but it's now top of mind again for many for reasons that can only be described as human nature. For weeks in December, you may have ended up pushing your car out of a ditch if braved the aftermath of the ice storm. Slick streets and sidewalks are the reason most stayed indoors which may explain a new -- much warmer trend -- nine months la...More >>

BRYAN COUNTY, OK--A Bryan County family thought they had lost it all in a fire when a firefighter emerged from the front door of their burning home with their most prized possession.

It happened Friday, just a week before the Achille couple was supposed to finalize the sale of the home. To make matters even worse, their beloved dog "Little Man" was believed to have perished in the fire.

"Planning our granddaughters funeral and getting the final touches done on that. Her funeral is tomorrow, and now my sister came and found us and my house was on fire," said homeowner Latona White.

White knew Friday was going to be a tough day. What she didn't know was just how bad it was going to get. 

Just after 1 o'clock Friday, the White's home in the 300 block of West Main Street in Achille caught fire.

A woman working at City Hall across the street saw smoke and rushed to the house. There was a man inside that she was able to help get out, but the family dog ran from her and wouldn't leave the house.

The family said they were devastated. Not only had they not seen their dog since the fire started, but their house was also burning to the ground in front of them.

"Lost Daddy's stuff," said White. "He died two years ago, and everything I had from my dad was in there."

Firefighters say there were a few challenges they faced while fighting this fire.

"Attic was an issue been added onto. It's been built on a few times and added onto, and that add-on made some difficulties when we were trying to get in there," said Colbert assistant fire chief Jonathan Horn.

But they were able to get the fire under control.

"The family was worried about their dog," said Horn.

As firefighters were checking hotspots in the house, something unexpected happened. They found the family's dog--scared and hiding in a smoke-filled room--miraculously unharmed.

Horn said: "We found the dog. He's alive and well, so that was a good deal."              

The Whites were shocked and overcome with emotions when they realized their family pet had been saved.

It didn't take long, however, for the hard reality of what lies ahead for the couple to sink in.

"We don't know. We have no money, nothing. We don't know what's next," said the Whites.

A fund has been set up at the First United Bank in Durant. You can donate at any branch--just tell them it's for the "White Family Benefit Account."

If someone would like to help, give them the homeowner's sister's number:  Shawna Trantham at 918-385-1160.

The fire marshall is expected to investigate the cause of the fire.