New details about the night Grayson County deputy Chad Key was k - - No One Gets You Closer

New details about the night Grayson County deputy Chad Key was killed


GRAYSON COUNTY -- Questions many still had about the night Grayson County deputy Chad Key was killed were answered during day three of the trial of the man charged with his death.

Some of those answers came from the suspect, Rickey Stanley, himself.

Stanley is charged with first-degree murder, intoxication manslaughter of a peace officer and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors say Stanley was driving the pick-up truck that hit Deputy Key as he directed traffic on Highway 82 the night of April 20, 2013.

Wednesday, the medical examiner testified, along with the deputy who was training Key. Key was with the Grayson County Sheriff's Office seventy-seven days when he died.

Stanley's former roommate, Matthew Gibbs, and Gibbs' fiance were called to the stand by prosecutors Wednesday. They said they were with Stanley in the hours leading up to the accident. Gibbs said he and Stanley began drinking beer at about 5pm at their home, then drove across the Red River, bought a 12-pack of beer and went to a crawfish boil. Gibbs testified they left the crawfish boil shortly after 9:30 and returned home.

Gibbs said Stanley later took his pick-up truck without permission. It was the same truck involved in the death of Deputy Key.

Dash camera video shown to jurors Wednesday showed Stanley telling DPS troopers he had "four or five" beers the night of the accident. He also said he was traveling about 60 miles per hour when he hit Deputy Key.

Trooper testified Stanley failed several standardized field sobriety tests before he was arrested.

Stanley willingly agreed to a blood sample. The result of the sample is expected to be revealed in court on Thursday.

The defense will begin calling its witnesses as early as tomorrow.

Grayson County District Attorney Joe Brown is planning to work into the weekend to get the case into the hands of the jury to return a verdict as early as possible.