Denison Police Confiscate Plants At Alleged Marijuana Grow House - - No One Gets You Closer

Denison Police Confiscate Plants At Alleged Marijuana Grow House


DENISON, TX -- An alleged "grow house" becomes the scene of a late-night drug bust, as police confiscate more than 100 marijuana plants from the home and arrest a man inside.

Police say this is one of the more significant busts they've made recently. Neighbors tell us they're shocked about all the "hydroponic" equipment found in the home where curtains block out the light.

The raid at a home in the 600 block of West Gandy Street led to the discovery of $50,000 worth of marijuana plants growing under hot lights, police said.

"It's the culmination of an ongoing investigation about illegal drug activity in this particular residence," says police Lt. Mike Eppler.

Early Wednesday at midnight, police arrested Roger Reynolds, 53, of Denison, at the house. He faces a charge of possession of marijuana more than five pounds in a drug-free zone, with that zone being the area around a nearby park, Eppler said.

"Probably as long as we have we've been here, 35 years," says Les Hamel, referring to his longtime neighbors. "All the rest of the family is dead. Roger's the only one that's alive right here, but he don't live here, he rents it out to some guy."

"I didn't think it was like that in this neighborhood. I didn't know," says newcomer Leigh Ann Anderson.

One neighbor says she's seen the man, who she's remarked looks like "Si" from the TV show "Duck Dynasty," driving in and out.

"He just waves at us and we say hi, wouldn't start him in conversation or nothing," says a neighbor who identified herself only as "Angela."

"More power to them if they can get away with it. I mean, we don't use it," says Hamel.

Police say they found about 140 plants inside the home, well more than the five pounds needed for a serious felony charge. Now they'll be checking to see just how much more.

"It's stripped off the stalks, dried, and then weighed," says Eppler.

"It definitely concerns us because we have lots of little kids here, so it's not something a bunch of little kids need to be living around," says Angela.

One neighbor who is just moving in says she is upset to hear about what was growing on her new block, but she's glad police shut the operation down.

"That's good to know, that they're off the street, that they're not gonna be in the neighborhood anymore," says Anderson.

KTEN went to find Reynolds, but a family member tells us he has no comment. There's no word on how long the operation was there, but Eppler said it's not something that could have been set up quickly.

Reynolds is out on $10,000 bond while awaiting trial. If convicted, he could face up to 20 years in prison.