Former Tom Bean police chief arrested, released on bond - - No One Gets You Closer

UPDATE: Former Tom Bean police chief indicted


UPDATE [Nov. 7, 2013] -- A grand jury has indicted a former Tom Bean police chief.

According to the Grayson County District Attorney's office, Michael Webster was indicted for allegedly stealing firearms and assaulting a public servant.

Prosecutors say Webster stole guns from an evidence safe then sold them for profit in June 2010.

He's also accused of tasing another police officer while he was the police chief in July 2012.

Webster resigned as Tom Bean's police chief late last year.

He was arrested and charged in August.

Webster faces four counts of theft of a firearm by a public servant, and one count of assault on a public servant.

Former Tom Bean police chief arrested, released on bond
[Posted: Aug 15, 2013 6:33 PM CDT]
TOM BEAN, TX -- A former police chief for the city of Tom Bean is out of jail after being arrested in the Texas panhandle.

The arrest is the result of a nearly year-long investigation.

It began in September as an internal matter which the city says it eventually passed onto the Grayson County District Attorney's Office.

An arrest warrant was issued this week and the Texas Rangers arrested Michael Webster at his new home in Dalhart, Texas on Tuesday.

KTEN first told you about the internal investigation in October, when Webster was placed on paid administrative leave.

The case against him includes two different sets of accusations.

The first involves claims he was taking guns from an evidence safe then selling them for profit.

The second set of claims center around what Webster allegedly did to another officer. While police chief, the city says he tased another officer. The officer later came forward to complain.

The city says Webster had been with department for six years before he resigned late last year.

"It was devastating to us to know that our trust was broken," Tom Bean Mayor Sherry Howard said. "When you have a police chief, he dishonors the badge by doing what was allegedly done."

Although Webster had moved to Dalhart, tax records show he still owns a home in Tom Bean. No one came to the door when KTEN went there earlier today.

Howard says Webster is accused of assault on a police officer, and theft and sale of guns from evidence.

He is out of jail after posting a $45,000 bond.

It's unknown when his first court appearance in Grayson County will be.