Go To Burger Joint in Sherman Burns Down - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

Go To Burger Joint in Sherman Burns Down

Posted:

SHERMAN, TX -- The Sherman community is mourning the loss of one of their favorite burger spots. The Lit'l Store has been serving up delicious grub for more than 25 years, but Wednesday morning a fire destroyed the beloved burger joint.

"I'd been gone 15 minutes and she called me and said the grill was on fire," says Wayne Burroughs, owner of Lit'l Store.

By the time Burroughs arrived back at his business, more than burgers were toasted.

"Evidently it was a grease fire," says Burroughs.

The Lit'l Store in the 700 block of South Rusk caught fire just before 10:00 am, before fire fighters could get there, the damage was already done.

"The people inside reported there was a fire in the grill that extended up in the accident before it could be distinguished," says Chief J.J. Jones, Sherman Fire Department.

This building dates back nearly as far the introduction of America's first hamburger in 1890.

"The front part of the building was built in 1900 so a lot of different type of construction, a lot of layers of construction. It just made it difficult to get to," says Chief Jones.

Not only has a historic piece of Sherman been destroyed, so has a favorite lunch spot for locals where as many as 500 burgers are served daily.

"I frequent the store a lot and this is pretty sad for all of us," says Chief Jones.

Firefighters tried to save as much of the property as they could.

"The fire was extensive, a lot of damage to the property," says Chief Jones.

Burroughs says whether they reopen is up to the insurance company. Like his faithful customers, he hopes to be back grilling sooner rather than later.

"We'll be back open. I don't know about pretty soon," says Burroughs.

Property damage is estimated at $100,000.