Two Durant Officers Injured, Suspect In Custody - - Texoma news, weather and sports

Two Durant Officers Injured, Suspect In Custody


BRYAN CO., OK -- A manhunt has ended in Bryan County, nearly 12 hours after a high-speed pursuit ended with two Durant officers injuried.

After a massinve manhunt, 44-year-old, Linston "Orty" Gilbeau was captured near Green Acres Road, near Bennington around 5:30 Saturday. He is now being held at the Bryan County jail. He has a lengthy criminal history and served time in state prison.  According to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections website, Gilbeau was convicted of burglary in 1988, and then convicted on assault and battery with a dangerous weapon charge in 1993. He served 12 years in prison for that conviction and is currently out on parole for a cruelty to animals charge. All of the crimes occurred in Bryan County.

Lt. Carrie Wyrick with the Durant Police Department tells KTEN around 2 o'clock Saturday morning, Officer Wesley Crank was working an assault call when a Gilbeau took off in a vehicle.

Crank attempted to pull the suspect over at North McLean and Easter Cedar Street, but the suspect continued speeding towards Highway 70 East. Crank called for a back-up and another officer joined the pursuit, but when the second officer neared Lone Oak Road, he lost control and struck a tree. He was air-lifted to Parkland Hospital in Dallas in serious condition with head and trunk injuries. At last check, Wyrick said he is in stable condition, but they are not releasing his name at this time.

Wyrick says Crank was unaware of the crash and continued his pursuit to Five Does Road. Authorities say Gilbeau is very familiar with the area and knew the road came to a dead-end. At the end of the road, he shut off his lights and ditched the vehicle, taking off on foot.

Durant Police say Crank did not see the stopped vehicle and rear-ended the suspects car. Crank was able to get out of his wrecked patrol car and continue chasing the Gilbeau on foot, but had to stop due to a back injury he sustained in the crash. He was taken to MCSO, and has since been treated and released.

Stay with KTEN for updates on this developing story.