Superintendent Speaks Out Against Criminal Charges - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

Superintendent Speaks Out Against Criminal Charges

  • Texoma HeadlinesMore>>

  • CEO Responds To Facebook Claims From Upset Electric Customers Near Hugo

    CEO Responds To Facebook Claims From Upset Electric Customers Near Hugo

    CHOCTAW COUNTY, OK -- Angry electric customers in southeast Oklahoma take to Facebook to voice their concerns about electric prices and management policies.More >>
    CHOCTAW COUNTY, OK -- Angry electric customers in southeast Oklahoma take to Facebook to voice their concerns about electric prices and management policies.More >>
  • 2nd Suspect In Texoma Murder Case Arraigned

    2nd Suspect In Texoma Murder Case Arraigned

    BRYAN COUNTY, OK -- The 2nd man arrested in connection with a Bryan County murder appeared in court Thursday. 31 year-old Craig Becker was formally arraigned at the Bryan County court house More >>
    BRYAN COUNTY, OK -- The 2nd man arrested in connection with a Bryan County murder appeared in court Thursday. 31 year-old Craig Becker was formally arraigned at the Bryan County court house More >>
  • Flash Flooding in Gunter

    Flash Flooding in Gunter

    GUNTER, TX -- This morning in Gunter six inches of rain fell in just a few hours. Crews took a proactive measure to shut down parts of highway 289. It worked, there were no accidents, or high water rescues, but some residents still have damage.More >>
    GUNTER, TX -- This morning in Gunter six inches of rain fell in just a few hours. Crews took a proactive measure to shut down parts of highway 289. It worked, there were no accidents, or high water rescues, but some residents still have damage.More >>

Parents of a student at Lone Grove High School have filed larceny charges with the Carter County District Attorney against two school officials. The parents say the Lone Grove principal and the superintendent refused to return a cell phone that had been confiscated by a teacher when it rang in the middle of class last week. KTEN's Andrea Kurys has the story.    

The superintendent said the cell phone will be returned to the student Thursday. It has been held up until now because of a policy listed in the student/parent handbook.     

Superintendent Gary Scott says the school board approves the policies in the handbook every year, and there are no exceptions to the rule for anybody. According to a section within the handbook, all wireless telecommunications devices are not allowed on school premises during school hours. Any exceptions to the rule must be approved by the Superintendent. Scott says after five days, the phone can be released back to the student, but not until then.     

Scott told KTEN that every student and parent has a copy of the handbook, and the policy has been in effect for two years. Scott says they have taken away student's cell phones in the past without incident. Other schools in Carter County also have similar policies. In Dickson and Ardmore, the cell phones are given back at the end of the day on a first offense.     

The District Attorney was not available for a comment on this case.

Andrea Kurys, KTEN News.